Avaya Workplace is a soft phone application that is provided to you at no additional cost when you already have a Lab phone number. The soft phone provides a collaborative hybrid remote work model, enabling individuals to have access to their Lab phone number and Lab voicemail across multiple devices, including their computers and smartphones. Individuals can choose to only have a software version (soft phone) of their phone number, making the desk phone optional. For those that wish to continue using a desk phone, the new Avaya J179 model desk phone complements the soft phone. Check which phone models are available in your building here.
If you are accustomed to forwarding your calls to your cell phone or using your cell phone for outgoing calls, using the Avaya Workplace soft phone could reduce your cellular costs depending on the cellular plan you have. Placing calls on the soft phone will use your Lab phone number for all your calls, letting you decide who to share your cell phone number with and giving you better control over when you want to receive Lab phone calls.
What are the advantages to using Workplace?
- Use your Lab phone number on a computer or smartphone
- Control the forwarding of your Lab phone number
- See missed Lab phone calls
- Access the Lab Phonebook Directory
- Answer calls on multiple devices
- Instantly move calls between connected devices
Please see the full list of key benefits to using the Workplace soft phone on your smartphone, Windows or Mac.
How do I get the Avaya Workplace soft phone?
To use the Avaya Workplace application, first contact Telephone Services at TSC@lbl.gov so they can complete the required programming of your Lab phone number. Once your programming is complete you will be notified. You may then download the Avaya Workplace application from software.lbl.gov.
For more information and user references:
- For installation instructions, refer to Installing Avaya Workplace.
- For the user guide, refer to the Avaya Workplace Quick Reference Guide.
- For a list of FAQ’s, refer to the Avaya Workplace Soft Phone FAQ’s.
- For training videos, view the IT Telephone Services list in the Berkeley Lab IT Videos Channel on YouTube.
IMPORTANT: We do not recommend the use of the soft phone application to make 911 calls. If you need to make a 911 call, do so from either your Lab desk phone or from your cellular phone.
For any questions or concerns, contact Telephone Services at TSC@lbl.gov or dial 510-486-7997.