ScienceIT at Berkeley Lab is seeking diverse candidates in a broad range of scholarly disciplines with a desire to learn more about research data and scientific computing.
Berkeley Lab’s ScienceIT scientific computing group in the Information Technology Division hosts an annual summer internship program for students majoring in Computational Science, Computer Science, Physical Science or related science and engineering fields.
Participants gain valuable hands-on experience with projects focused on the following topics:
- Embedded research support
- High-performance computing (HPC)
- Research application of IT capabilities
- Collaborative and creative technologies
The program covers both summer and scholastic year internship opportunities in three areas:
Embedded Research Support Internships
Focused on identifying curious, mature, self-motivated students who want to support science and learn more about data analytics at the same time.
- The ideal student will have a background in the physical sciences and ideally with some experience with laboratory benchtop work and familiarity with R, Python or basic statistics.
- Students will embed with a scientific laboratory team and work as a laboratory tech for several weeks while documenting how project scientists collect, manage, analyze, and store data.
- The intern will then work with ScienceIT staff to capture information technology requirements, and propose and implement solutions in the scientific areas.
ScienceIT Support Internships
Focused on students who want to learn more about High Performance Computing and application of IT capabilities to support science compute, storage, and data management needs.
- The ideal student will have a background in Computer Science, Information Technology or related fields.
- Depending on interest, and abilities/experience, students will embed with staff in User Support’s Workstation Support, Collaborative Services, Help Desk or Scientific Computing groups to be exposed to a wide variety of institutional IT capabilities.
ScienceIT Collaboration Internships
Focused on students with collaborative and creative technologies who are interested in contributing to IT Division communications at Berkeley Lab.
- The ideal student will have a background in background in technical writing, journalism, web/social media content creation and editing, AV support, video content editing and creation, or other related technologies.
- Depending on interest and abilities, interns may contribute to Division level branding and outreach tasks as well as support for IT Division communication or collaboration efforts.
What is ScienceIT?
ScienceIT is a comprehensive IT program facilitating the use of scientific computing and data to accomplish scientific research at Berkeley Lab. Visit scienceit.lbl.gov to learn more.
Recent News & Announcements
- Gary Jung Recognized with 2023 Director’s Lifetime Achievement Award
- Expanding Storage Services for Research Data
Current Open Positions
Under the supervision of ScienceIT and/or HPC User Service consultants, the successful candidates will work with Berkeley Lab researchers to understand their research needs and facilitate access to computing resources that might best support them. Learn more about the ScienceIT Graduate Student Internship.
Under the supervision of ScienceIT and/or HPC User Service consultants, the successful candidates will provide end user support to help Berkeley Lab researchers use high performance computing systems. Learn more about the Scientific Computing Group Student Assistant opportunity.
More Berkeley Lab student job opportunities are available at jobs.lbl.gov »
- Academic Enrollment: Must be a full-time student.
- Maximum Hours: Up to 20 hours a week while in school and up to 40 hours a week during school breaks.
- Duration: Internships typically range from 10-12 weeks during the summer.