Author: Tap L
Apple released a new operating system, macOS Ventura, on October 24, 2022. Review tips from IT for a successful system upgrade.
The IT Support Services group recommends Berkeley Lab users exercise caution before upgrading to macOS Ventura. Please review the following questions before proceeding with an installation of macOS Ventura.
1. Is your computer compatible?
Refer to the Apple Support page for computers compatible with macOS Ventura or see a summary below:
- MacBook models from 2017 or later
- MacBook Air models from 2018 or later
- MacBook Pro models from 2017 or later
- Mac mini models from 2018 or later
- iMac models from 2017 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro models from 2019 or later
- Mac Studio (all models)
Note: If your hardware is not compatible, macOS Ventura should warn you and prevent the installation of the upgrade. However, it’s helpful to double check prior to initiating the upgrade process.
2. Are all of your peripheral devices compatible (keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, printer, etc)?
Check the support page for your device and download the latest driver if needed.
3. Are all current versions of your installed software compatible?
Check the support page for your software to ensure the application will continue to work as expected. Note that all 32-bit applications are incompatible with macOS Ventura.
4. Do you have the installation files for required software and drivers should you need to reinstall or revert your Operating System to the previous version?
Preparing these files ahead of time on a USB flash drive can prevent issues later in the installation process.
5. Have you completed a full backup of your computer before upgrading to macOS Ventura?
If you decide to upgrade, ensure you backup your computer before installation in order to prevent data loss in the event of a corrupt installation or if you find you need to revert to a previous version of the operating system due to incompatibility. See the IT FAQ Backup Services pages for more information.
About macOS Ventura
Feel free to reach out to the IT Help Desk for assistance if you have any questions.