By Tammera E Campbell on 2021-04-21T19:13:43Z
Microsoft has taken a different approach to updating Windows 10, as they release major builds twice a year. Each build will have an end of lifecycle and will cease to be supported as defined by their End of Service date. Users should know that they must regularly commit to updating their Windows 10 operating system or risk cyber threat and/or block.
Microsoft has published the Windows 10 lifecycle fact sheet (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet), and their end of life dates (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-and-education). This information is also represented in the table below.
|Windows 10 version history||Date of availability||End of service|
|Windows 10, version 20H2||October 20, 2020||May 9, 2023|
|Windows 10, version 2004||May 27, 2020||December 14, 2021|
|Windows 10, version 1909||November 12, 2019||May 10, 2022|
|Windows 10, version 1903||May 21, 2019||December 8, 2020|
|Windows 10, version 1809||November 13, 2018||May 11, 2021|
|Windows 10, version 1803||April 30, 2018||May 11, 2021|
|Windows 10, version 1709||October 17, 2017||October 13, 2020|
|Windows 10, version 1703||April 11, 2017||October 8, 2019|
|Windows 10, version 1607||August 2, 2016||April 9, 2019|
|Windows 10, version 1511||November 10, 2015||October 10, 2017|
|Windows 10, version 1507||July 29, 2015||May 9, 2017|
To find out about the your Windows 10 version, see Which Windows operating system am I running? (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system)
Users should be mindful regarding Windows Updates:
- Backup your system before doing your Windows Update, you can use Druva inSync from our software download page, go.lbl.gov/DownloadDruvainSync
- Run Windows Update on Windows 10, update files can be big and may take some time to download
- Once the Update starts to download you can minimize it and continue working
- When the download is complete it will ask for a reboot, you can pause or reschedule for the end of the day (Note: update will not finish without a reboot). Note there may be a couple of reboots involved so be patient.
- Application of system settings after a Windows Update may require another 15-30 minutes after you reboot and login
Users can REQUEST HELP with updating their Windows 10 system.
Remember do not push off updating your computer, update regularly!